#NoMoreStolenSisters

Hi friends,
I'm not sharing this link because I believe that doing so will return a single lost love or restore a single life: I know that such beautiful outcomes are beyond the power of my blog  and of my facebook page.
I'm sharing this because seeing the link on my friend Mary's facebook wall reminded me of something I should not have been able to forget.
This post is not here as a platitude, and it is not here to make me or you or anyone else feel better. It is here to make us feel worse. It is here to remind me to be CONSCIOUSLY AWARE of this ONGOING HORROR. It is here to remind me that if I haven't taken some action today, real direct action, then I share responsibility for the woman who goes missing tomorrow, and the next day, and the next.
As Canadians, we have a duty to put pressure on our reporters, and on our politicians, and on our police, nationally or locally, and to keep putting pressure on them until native women are no more likely to disappear or to be murdered than any other Canadian.
So far, I have failed my community in this matter. That stops today. From now on, every day that I am on-line I will start by asking a police official, a news agency, and a politician what they have done to resolve this issue.
My friends, I encourage you to consider doing the same. If you think I'm going to be wasting a whole 20 minutes of each day (perish forbid!) then I encourage you to come up with a better solution. If you do, please share it! I will be one of the people cheering for you!
Be well. Do good.
John

Comments

Popular Posts